Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Almost there

I totally agree with you, Ben--it's the ideas that are important. We have good ideas and should make them clear and accessible to all. I'm really impressed by your new tax proposition, it sounds like it might have a really good effect on everybody (aside from the initial sudden drop in spending).
The whole point of my spiel is,

I want to make sure that our *ideas* themselves are /logical/. I want to avoid empty, partisan noise. I feel we should use our discussion to learn from each other.

Otherwise, without any guidelines, we'd be simply stabbing in the dark at each other. Throwing out arguments based on unstated assumptions, ignoring criticisms, making lots of noise, but little communication.

If we could just pledge to make our ideas clear and reasonable, both the creative and the critical ones, I feel that would be ideal.

A blog is what people make of it.

Let's agree on a general principle of clarity and reasonableness and get back quickly to the debating. I don't care about the format as long as anybody makes a good point.

-Chad

1 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger ben said...

Good idea, Chad, I agree...

And, in the interest of full disclosure, I should note again that it's not my new tax idea...I've heard it from lots of other people, most notably the book I mentioned at the begining. I just like it and I want to endorse it...plus I should think that the more liberal members of the blog wouldn't like it...at first glance it is a regressive tax, where the less economicaly well off appear to shoulder a bigger load than the rich, since they have to spend a much larger percentage of their income.
It may appear regressive, but for the reasons I outlined, it isn't. Another point against the regressiveness of the tax is that America currently has a negative average savings rate...that means, on average people spend more than their income. This is partly due to the relatively low interest rates and the "cheapness" of money at the moment, but America has always had low savings rates. That means that the rich also spend a huge preportion of their income, so they would be paying much more, both in nominal terms, and relative terms.

But I'd love to hear someone who disagrees with me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home