Monday, January 23, 2006

Christ? (Did I use the lord's name in vain? Am I going to hell for that?)

Well, Italy is very interesting. It seems that they are more lawsuit happy than Americans. In fact, there is one 70-year-old man who is suing a Priest, basically for lying and profiting from it, because he asserted that there was a man named Jesus from Nazareth. The news story (CNN) is here.
Well, I am a Christian, but I feel on pretty solid ground stating that there was a historical figure who went around by the name of Jesus, and who lived in Nazareth. My reasoning for this belief doesn't come only from reading the Bible. There are, in fact, plenty of secular historical accounts that mention this person, and the affect he had on the populace. The view you get of him varies depending on who wrote the account, but he ranges from the Messiah to a rabble-rouser intent on overthrowing Herod and the Romans. That lines up pretty well with what the Gospel's say, at least in general. I don't really want to get into an argument about inconsistencies in the Gospels over the internet, (but if you want to, I can go there) but that doesn't seem like a good reason to doubt the existence of a man named Jesus, especially since we have sober historical accounts to look at, which corroborate the basic facts, if not some of the miracles. (The miracles being one of the chief points of contention in the debate about inconsistencies in the Gospels)
I also want to say that I'll be going to the town where the trial is being held, early next week. I'll do my best to do some investigative reporting, and I'll post whatever I learn here, first. So, Stay Tuned for the Biggest Scoop of your lives!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home