Monday, January 23, 2006

RE: Clearing the air

Well Chad, I just got an A in Logic and Argumentation, and we talked a lot about logical fallacies. You've hit on a very important one, but I think, you are also guilty of a more serious violation. Missing the Point...also called, attacking a Straw Man. If you look closely at my post, the polygamy part wasn't really what I was talking about. Also, while it may be true that only one congressman brought this up in Congress, there are at least several other people talking about it. One hotspot for such debate is Utah, where at least a couple of towns (controlled by a very extremist wing of the Mormon Church, one that is so extremist, it is in fact not being spoken to by the larger version) are actively trying to legalize polygamous marriages...while not allowing homosexual marriages. And, there are several groups in Canada also trying to expand their marriage laws to allow for polyamorous relationships.
I want to note that I don't think legalizing homosexual marriages would lead to legalizing polygamous marriages. And I don't need to assign value judgments to reach this conclusion...they are two separate things, and one can come without the other...and one coming has no bearing on the other.
However, that wasn't my point, and I would invite you to go back and read my post again and comment on what I was really talking about (That not allowing government to regulate marriage would be a good thing, for everyone involved) ... but thank you for giving us a lesson on Logical Fallacies...
There is also a rule in the blogoshpere (this isn't exactly related) that states: "The first person to bring up Hitler in an argument that doesn't relate to the Third Reich immediately loses the argument. There are to be no exceptions." There is a special name for this rule, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Let's dub it, "The Hitler Clause" I think we should follow it on this blog, but I don't anticipate any problems...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home