Monday, January 23, 2006

Clean Air Act for this blog

1. Ben, I am glad that we can agree on what a logical fallacy is.

2. I'm confused, however, because it seemed, in your [Re:Clearing the Air] last paragraph, that you thought I'm at fault for using a common logical fallacy as an example of a common logical fallacy. I'm sure this isn't what you meant, and I'm sorry for not understanding it clearly. Could you please explain it?

3. You're right, I must have missed the point. I'm confused as to what you're saying about marriage. Your post on marriage was titled "Slippery Slope for marriage" implying that expanding the definition of marriage is a slippery slope. Then, in your Re: Clearing the air post, you say

"I want to note that I don't think legalizing homosexual marriages would lead to legalizing polygamous marriages."

This apparently contradicts what you suggested originally. I don't understand. Did you change your mind? I don't want to respond until I understand your argument, so that I don't attack you unfairly.

4. I think this blog should contain civil discourse: arguments that respond to each other directly and criticize/support specific arguments individually.

That was why I offered an explanation of the common usage of 'reductio ad absurdum,' so as to make it clear as a rule of debate to all posters/readers. It's a rule that might allow arguments to be clearer and rational debate more effective. It's really cool that we can agree on that.

How about we make a Rules meeting/comittee to agree on discourse rules? I think might help us discuss politics more clearly, persuasively, and transparently.

1 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger ben said...

RE 2: As I noted in the last paragraph when I wrote "(this isn't exactly related)," I wasn't referring to you, nor placing you at fault for anything in this paragraph...I was mentioning the Hitler clause, since you broached the subject in one of your examples...The example you used illustrated your point very well...and in fact, the same example is the one that is used to justify the Hitler Clause...

RE 3: You have a good point...I probably should have chosen a different title, or at least placed a question mark at the end...I think if you read what I wrote, it's reasonable to expect you to come away thinking that I didn't agree with the slippery slope argument for not allowing Gay Marriage to happen...hopefully...I spent all of two seconds picking a title when I wrote the post...I didn't think it was really that important...I shall endeavor to be more conscientious in the future...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home